Make Ultimate Hot Chocolate and a Sweet Gift Idea
Hot chocolate is one of those drinks that makes you feel like a kid. On a cold, blustery, why not drink something sweet and delicious? This recipe is so quick to prepare that we hope you never resort to packaged hot cocoa again. See notes (below) for different flavour options.
Sweet Hot Chocolate Gift
What to offer the ingredients as a gift?
Substitute the 1 tsp vanilla extract with 1/2 tsp vanilla powder and whisk the all the dry ingredients together. Put into a sealed glass container, and decorate as you like.
Include these instructions in your packaging:
Making a cup of hot chocolate:
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of powdered cocoa mix and combine with 2-3 tablespoons milk to make a paste.
- Heat the 2/3 cup milk with 1/3 cup of heavy cream (35%) slowly. It should not boil.
- Pour hot milk-cream mixture into your chocolate paste, and stir well to combine.
- Add a pinch of chili pepper (optional) for a Mexican kick (or 1 tablespoon of Kaluha or liqueur of your choice)
Ultimate Hot Chocolate
- 570 ml (2-1/2 cups) whole milk
- 345 ml (1-1/2 cups) Heavy cream (35%)
- 57 g (2 oz) Sugar
- 57 g (2 oz) Cocoa Powder unsweetened
- a pinch of Salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, warm 450 ml (2 cups) of milk with 225 ml (1 cup) of cream.
- In the meantime mix sugar, cocoa, salt, the vanilla extract and the rest of the 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk mixing well until you obtain a paste with no lumps.
- Turn the stove on low, then add the paste slowly to the warm milk, whisking well to get a foamy creamy chocolate.
- Reheat until it is hot but don’t let the liquid boil!
- Whip the remaining 120 ml (1/2 cup) of leftover cream until you have a smooth whipped cream.
- Pour the hot chocolate into serving cups.
- Pour the cream on top and serve immediately.