A Twist on Bouillabaisse with Champignons de Saison
This fall recipe courtesy of Jean Martin (Maussane) and Yvan Gilardi (Toquadom) is perfect when the Provencal markets are filled with a variety of mushrooms. The dish is not exactly a soup but is certainly inspired by the local favourite – bouillabaisse.
You can read Gilardi’s backstory here his creativity shines through in this dish that takes the garlic rouille typically served with bouillabaisse and combines it in a vegetable broth to produce a foamy broth for the delicious mushroom combination.
Bouillabaisse with Seasonal Mushrooms
- 2 kg mushrooms mixed - 3 or 4 varieties
- 1 Carrot
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 stalk Celery
- 1 Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 2 tbsp Mustard
- pinch Saffron powdered variety
- 300 ml Sunflower oil
- 300 ml olive oil
- to taste Piment d’Espelette use a mild paprika if you cannot find it
- 1 jar Garlic Cream use the Jean Martin version (in France)
Preparing the Bouillabaisse broth
- Chop the carrot, onion, fennel, celery and garlic
- In a saucepan over medium heat, gently sauté the vegetables in olive oil without browning them.
- Salt and pepper lightly to taste
- Add water to cover
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for at least 20 minutes.
- Clean and chop the mushrooms
- Then cook (saute) them according to their variety
- Set mushrooms aside
- Strain the vegetable stock
- Re-season with salt and pepper to taste
- Gently strain foam off mushrooms and add to vegetable broth
La Rouille Sauce
- In a blender add all the rouille ingredients together except the sunflower and olive oils.
- Gently pulse until well combined
- Slowly drizzle in the sunflower oil and olive oil while continuously blending until it emulsifies.
- Gently reheat the mushrooms
- While the mushrooms are warming combine the vegetable bouillon and the rouille sauce and using a handheld electric whisk create a "vegetable foam"
- Spoon the mushrooms in to shallow bowls and cover in foam.
- Serve immediately with fresh baguette.