Provençal Asparagus Tart or Tarte aux Asperges Recipe
This is a lovely, yet simple recipe for a warm spring or summer’s day that combines beautiful flavours and looks pretty on any table. Provençal Asparagus Tart is perfect as a starter or as part of a relaxed lunch with salads and other summery dishes.
Provençal Asparagus Tart (Tarte aux Asperges)
- 1 roll Puff Pastry
- 500 gr green asparagus
- 12 thin slices Ham Bayonne Parma or San Daniele are perfect
- 70 gr goat cream cheese or regular cream cheese
- 1 tbsp Crème fraiche
- 1/2 Lemon organic
- 3-4 tsp Water
- 20 leaves Fresh Mint 3-4 sprigs
- a dash olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 210° C (upper and lower heat).
- Cut puff pastry into shape (we did a rectangle, because that’s easy with asparagus), place on a baking tray and blindbake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Rinse the asparagus, cut off the wooden ends.
- Divide the asparagus into roughly equal amounts.
- Take half, cut ham slices in half lengthwise and tightly wrap around each asparagus stem.
- Put all the asparagus (with and without ham) on a baking tray, add a few dashes of olive oil and gently roll them around so they’re covered in the oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- As you remove the puff pastry from the oven, reduce the temperature to 180° C and leave the asparagus to roast for 10 minutes.
- Then set aside to chill.
- Prepare a blend of cream cheese and crème fraîche.
- Wash a lemon under hot water and grate off a thin layer of zest.
- Then juice the lemon.
- Mix the zest into the cheese, stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- If the cheese is not creamy enough yet, add water spoon by spoon until you reach a creamy, easy to spread texture.
- Finely chop mint leaves and add half to the cheese spread.
- Once everything has cooled down, spread goat cheese mixture evenly onto the puff pastry, place asparagus on it and top off with the rest of the chopped mint.
- Bon appétit from the Mirabeau kitchen and we hope you enjoy this perfect recipe for a warm summer’s day. Oh and feel free to treat yourself to a nicely chilled glass of Rosé or White.