A Sweet Brioche Pudding Recipe
We all love bread and butter pudding, especially when the weather is cold and miserable, but making it with brioche makes it taste even better. And serving it with a passion fruit cream gives a great flavour combination.
- 400 ml whole milk
- 120 ml Cream
- 10 slices Brioche - 1cm thick slices or enough to fill your baking dish
- 2-3 tbsp apricot jam
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 50 gr Butter plus a bit extra for greasing the tin
- 4 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 2 Vanilla pods
- 35 gr Sultanas
Passion Fruit Cream
- 6 large ripe passion fruit
- 200 gr Mascarpone
- 150 ml Crème fraiche
- 150 ml double cream
- icing sugar to taste
Brioche Pudding - Method
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and lightly butter a baking dish (22x18x5 cm)
- Heat the apricot jam gently until melted and set aside.
- Butter all the slices of brioche on one side and place them, unbuttered side down, in one layer in a large flat side dish.
- Combine 2 tsps of ground cinnamon, the sultanas and most of the apricot jam spread this mixture over the bottom of your greased baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp of Demerara sugar.
- Whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, 1 tsp of ground cinnamon and seeds from the vanilla pods and pour half the mixture over the brioche slices.
- When they are completely soaked, arrange the slices slightly overlapping in layers in the greased baking dish (over the sultanas, jam and sugar).
- Once the dish is full, pour over the remainder of the cream mixture and sprinkle with the rest of the sugar.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 – 35 minutes until golden brown and well risen.
- Glaze the top of the pudding with the remainder of the melted apricot jam.
Passion Fruit Cream - Method
- Halve the passion fruit, scrape the pulp into a saucepan and bring to the boil, reducing it slightly to intensify the flavour and thicken the juice.
- Tip into a sieve and push as much juice through as possible, leaving only the seeds behind.
- Beat the mascarpone and crème fraiche together, mix in the passion fruit juice and add icing sugar to taste.
- Whip the double cream until thick and then fold into the passion fruit mixture.
- Chill until ready to serve.