A Savoury Melon Soup Starter
Giuseppina Mabilia, who blends a fusion of tastes from Italy and Provence at her cooking school Venise en Provence shares this recipe for a savoury, cold melon soup. Perfect for a starter in the heat of summer, or for lunch.
Cold Melon Soup Starter
- 4-5 small Melons Cavaillon variety in France, or Cantaloupe
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt just a pinch
- Fresh Basil
- 1 tsp Dried red pepper cayenne or Piment d'Espelette if you find it)
- Start with washing the melon then cut them in 2 ( try to make a nice cut if you serve them: equal and clean) and make some balls with a Parisian scoop melon baller, you can easily find it on Amazon if you don't have one.
- Calculate 5 balls for each serving, set in a bowl and cool in the fridge.
- Now you can scoop the rest of melon roughly and put in a blender though not all at the same time: start with a small quantity and then add the rest. Mix well.
- Add the oil, a pinch of salt, the red peppercorn and some of the basil and mix again till you have a smooth consistency.
- Taste: if it seems to you that it's a bit insipid add a pinch of salt and some extra oil and mix again.
- Store in the fridge and let it cool 1 hour, then pour in the half melons or in a nice glass or bowl, add the melon balls and some basil.