A Spring Dish Asparagus with Deep Fried Eggs and Parmesan
Its asparagus season in France and there is no better way to enjoy this wonderful vegetable than dipped into a soft-centred egg. Just add a little freshly grated parmesan cheese and the combination is perfect. This is definitely a crowd pleaser with guests at Mas d’Augustine
Asparagus with Deep Fried Eggs and Parmesan
- 30 Asparagus spears
- 8 Eggs at room temperature
- 3 slices Serrano Ham
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 500 ml vegetable oil for deep frying
- 100 gr Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- 20 gr Finely grated parmesan
- 2 Beaten eggs
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the tough ends and then placing the asparagus into a pan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes.
- Drain and refresh in a bowl of iced water.
- Drain and set aside.
- Gently place the 8 eggs into a pan of boiling salted water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove and then cool immediately in a bowl of iced water.
- When cool, very carefully peel the eggs and set aside.
- Finely chop the Serrano ham and then whiz it with the breadcrumbs in a blender or magimix.
- Lay out your ingredients for coating the eggs; 4 tbls of flour in a bowl, 2 beaten eggs in a bowl and spread the breadcrumbs on a small tray.
- Dip each egg into the flour, then into the beaten egg and then roll it in the breadcrumbs.
- Then again dip the egg into the beaten egg and again in the breadcrumbs.
- Place them on a tray lined with kitchen paper and place in the fridge until you’re ready to fry them.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small, deep, heavy bottomed saucepan to 175 degrees (use a deep fat fryer if you have one).
- While the oil is heating, lay the asparagus spears on a baking tray and drizzle with a little oil or melted butter (truffle oil is very good, but not essential) and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place under a hot grill to warm through and finish cooking.
- Cook the eggs two at a time for 1 minute (this will ensure the oil stays at temperature) – they should be a lovely golden brown. Be careful the oil does not overheat.
- Drain the eggs on kitchen paper.
- To serve arrange the asparagus spears on a warm plate and sprinkle the parmesan across the bottom half of the spears.
- Place an egg on top of the asparagus and carefully cut in half in situ, as this will ensure that none of the egg yolk is lost.
- Serve at once with plenty of freshly ground black pepper and crusty bread.