A Perfect French Roasted Chicken
Follow David Allen Scott on his virtual recipe journey of this French comfort cuisine dish and his review of Maria Zihammou’s cookbook. While a primarily renowned region for their abundance of fresh seafood, this classic roast chicken dish could rival those anywhere.
As David’s explains, “This is the first time I have reviewed a cookbook without holding it in my hands, to feel its heft, and how it actually reads with (and without) my glasses.” French Bistro, by Maria Zihammou with photographs by Åsa Dahlgren, is a real beauty, at least in the online proof sent to me by Skyhorse Publishing.
More on David’s delicious journey…
Poulet Bonne Femme
A simple one-pan main course of browned chicken, braised in apple cider and finished with cream.
- 1whole Chickenor the equivalent in your favourite cuts
- 2tbsp Flour
- to taste Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2tbsp Butter
- 100gr / 3.5 oz Lightly salted pork belly
- 10whole Pearl onionsif you count mine I used 13
- 300ml / 1 1/4 cups Dry Apple Cidertry fresh from the farmer's market
- 1 Bouquet garni: Sprigs of Thyme, Parsley & Bay leaf
- 100ml / 1/2 cup Cream
- 1tbsp Fresh Parlsey
Serve this easy, satisfying chicken with a crusty hunk of bread, a salad, and glass of wine, I can think of no meal more satisfying.