Apple Beignet with Caramel Ice Cream
This recipe is simple to make. Prepare the batter in advance, and have your vegetable oil ready to go. When you are ready to make the beignets it is only a few minutes to deep-fry the apples.
- 2 Apples peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 cup Calvados
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 recipe Beignet Batter (see below)
- 1 quart (1L) vegetable oil to fry in
- Powdered Sugar
- 1 pint (475 ml) Caramel Ice Cream
For the Beignet Batter:
- 1.5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Sparkling Cider beer or even water
- 2 Egg whites
Before your guests arrive:
Marinate apple slices in Calvados and sugar for a few hours, or overnight.
Make beignet batter by mixing dry ingredients.
Then mix egg yolk, oil and cider.
Beat egg whites to soft peaks then fold in.
When you are ready to eat:
Dip apple slices in beignet batter, and fry at 350F (175C) degrees till golden brown, about five minutes.
Be sure to flip slices frequently so they cook evenly.
Drain on paper towels.
Dust with copious quantities of powdered sugar and top with a scoop of caramel ice cream.