Elizabeth Bard’s Financiers aux Abricots et à la Lavande
This recipe for a sweet snack, mini-cakes, comes from Elizabeth Bard’s latest book Picnic in Provence: A memoir with Recipes. The author combines the flavours of Provence apricot and lavender in a traditional French dessert. The recipe is published with the author’s permission.
Mini–Almond Cakes with Apricot and Lavender - Financiers aux Abricots et à la Lavande
Just as the first sun-kissed apricots arrive at the market, lavender fields all over Provence are bursting into bloom. They are a perfect pair. These mini–almond cakes are gluten free, a treat for a special summer breakfast or teatime in the garden.
- 7tbsp Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½cup + 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2large Eggs
- ½tsp Almond extract(or a few drops of real bitter almond essence, if you can find it!)
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1¾cups Almond meal(ground almond flour)
- 1good pinch Coarse sea salt
- ¼tsp Lavender grains, plus a few for garnish
- 6small Apricots, halved & pitted
- 1tsp Light brown sugar or raw cane sugar for garnish