A visit to Avignon and the Jardin des Doms during the Festival of Avignon
Contributor blog post by Michel:
When we go to Avignon, we try to park at the Hotel Mercure garage because the stairs exit close to the Popes’ Palace. Right next to the stairway, is the Hôtel des Monnaies (mint), the earliest private Baroque monument in Avignon. It sits opposite the main entrance to the Popes’ Palace. It was built in 1619 by the Vice-Legate Jean-François de Bagni, and is dedicated to Paul V, the then reigning Pope. In 1860, it became the Conservatoire National de Musique. It was used as such up to 2007.
…Continue reading here to see Michel’s photos from their day in Avignon. There is much to see in this city that was home to seven (7) popes over a 100-year period. There is much history that includes Romanesque churches and medieval fortresses (Fort Saint-André). It’s fun for the kids (and adults) to see the remains Pont d’Avignon (Saint Bénézet Bridge).
Via:: Our House in Provence